Friday, September 16, 2011

Current Event : Djokovic beats Nadal to win US Open

http://english.aljazeera.net//sport/tennis/2011/09/201191303339382653.html

I am surprised that Nadal lost his number one title so quickly. He was known as the king of topspin. He has big advantages such as being left handed and having a two handed backhand; being left handed allows him to put a different type of spin on the ball and using two hands makes his backhand stronger. I am also disappointed that Roger Federer lost in the semifinals. I loved matching him play, especially when he does the tweener between his legs and they end up being winners.

This reminds me of the current event that I did this past week in my sports and entertainment marketing class on Djokovic. Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic used to be known for "djoking" around and his impressions of Rafael Nadal, John McEnroe, and Maria Sharapova. Now he is stepping up his game. This past year he has won the Australian Open and Wimbledon. He has a 52-7 record for the year with only losses from Rogerer Federer in the French Open and Andy Roddick in the Western and Southern Open.

In the article that I read, it said the key to his wins is his physical conditioning. He found out that he was allergic to gluten which he has laid off. Now, he does not experience fatigue anymore and can play in long matches. I wonder how long his winning streak is going to go until someone else takes the number one title from him. There will hopefully be more current news on tennis for me to write about because it is my favorite sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment