Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Lovely Bones

Considering that The Lovely Bones is a national bestseller, the first seven chapters have been a disappointment to me. I found it to be very boring to the point where I fell asleep trying to read it. I thought that there were too many parts about her family, friends and events of the past. Some parts that I thought were draggy and unnecessary were when she talked about how she used to help her father build boats in bottles and when Ruth ran into Clarisse and Brian. There is little action since all Susie does is sit in the gazebo and look down upon Earth. However, I have to applaud the author that the idea of telling a story in the afterlife is very creative approach.

"After a few days in heaven, I realized that the javelin-throwers and the shot-putters and the boys who played basketball were all in their own version of heaven."(p.18)

I had always thought of heaven as a place where everyone would see and experienced the same things, as Susie thought when she first entered after being killed by Mr. Harvey. The story also did not or at least did not mention of a God in heaven unlike what most people believe. I had never imagined Susie's type of heaven, but it would be nice if everything you liked were there and if you wished for things they would appear, with exceptions to things on Earth.
  • What are your interpretations of heaven? and what would you think would be in your heaven just like how there were dogs and peppermint stick ice cream in Susie's?
I hope that the story will get more interesting. I also hope that and have a hunch that Mr. Harvey will get caught in the end. By, what means, I have no idea and am curious to find out.

1 comment:

  1. You touched on all the areas that I've experienced reading the story. I, too, found it boring because of the unnecessary and draggy details. I think the story would be much more interesting if the author had been straight to the point.
    Anyway, you brought up a very thought-provoking question. I've always imagined my Heaven to be a home with God. I don't know. This is getting long, so I'll stop here. But this will definitely be on my mind for some time.

    ReplyDelete