Monday, October 5, 2009

tennis

fotosearch.com/clip-art/hit.html
This past summer I started to play tennis and even tried out for the team at school. I wanted to try out because it looked like a fun pasttime. When I was at the practices, I was really worried that I was going to get cut from the team because I played really bad; I always hit the ball to the net or out of the court. Also, I felt inferior to everyone else in my tennis skills. A little before school started a list was posted at the athletic director's office with nine numbers belonging to those being cut from the team. As I was walking to see the list the day it was posted, I was so scared that the number five would be on there, but luckily it wasn't. After the first cut, I was even more nervous because Coach Wong said that there would be a second cut.
In the end, I made it into the JV team because the coach along with Mrs. Courtland and Mrs. Loo, the captains' moms, decided to keep everyone even though there were twenty-four people. Tennis practice is from 3:30 PM to 5:45 PM on weekdays and 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM on Saturdays. During tennis practice, our daily routines are to warm up, play some sets, and then do drills with Coach Ivy. Coach Ivy recently came to coach us because Coach Wong is usually busy and cannot come to our practices. He is a professional tennis player and I'm amazed that he would come coach us when he is capable of making more money elsewhere. He works us really hard by making us run whenever we do something wrong. I don't like the running, but I think its a good way to build character and to try harder to be more consistent in keeping the ball in the court.
So far the JV team has played three schools, Encinal, American High School, and this school in Lafayette. We won against Encinal and the one in Lafayette, but lost to American High . In all the matches I played in, I played doubles with Kimberly Pham. We won all our doubles games and are hopeful that we will win against San Leandro High this coming Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment