Tuesday, October 6, 2009

(4.) Though this group of children, almost all of whom were White, did not live near a large Native American population and probably had had little if any personal interaction with American Indians, they all had internalized an image of what Indians were like. How did they know? Cartoon images, in particular the Disney movie Peter Pan, were cited by the children as their number-one source of information. At the age of three, these children already had a set of stereotypes in place. Though I would not describe three-year-olds as prejudiced, the stereotypes to which they have been exposed become the foundation for the adult prejudices so many of us have.

I annotated this paragraph by underlining things like "had little if no personal interaction with American Indians" and "Disney movie Peter Pan". I asked where to kids got the misconception of what they looked like from since they have never seen one before and it is not a common topic that is talked about. I noted that I thought Disney movies were good for kids to watch. I think that these two pieces of the paragraph are significant because it it explains kids as little as three years have stereotypes andwhat is responsible for it. From reading this paragraph I asked myself whether I got my conceptions of Indians from watching that movie also and I think I did or at least through some type of movie.



(13.) To say that it is not our fault does not relieve us of responsibility, however. We may not have polluted the air, but we need to take responsibility […] for cleaning it up. Each of us needs to look at our own behavior. Am I perpetuating the negative messages in our culture, or am I seeking to challenge them? If I have not been exposed to positive images of oppressed groups, am I seeking them out, expanding my own knowledge base? Am I acknowledging my own prejudices, thereby minimizing the impact they might have on my interactions with others? Unless we engage in these and other acts of reflection and reeducation, we easily repeat the process with our children. We teach what we were taught. The unexamined prejudices of the parents are passed on to the children. It is not our fault, but it is our responsibility to interrupt this cycle.

I circled all the ways in the paragraph to deal with prejudice like being exposed to positive images or engaging in reflection and reeducation. I linked them all to "we are not at fault" in the previous paragraph. I noted that even though we are not at fault we should not just leave our prejudices as it is. I also underlined the last line because I agree with it. If we don't disrupt this cycle, the next generation will continue to follow in our steps of prejudging other. People should get to know people first before coming to conclusions about them. This makes it more fair and people will less likely get offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment